Saturday, July 15, 2006

squid and the whale

Oh yeah, in response to Judd about this movie: I thought it had such potential, but all it showed was the disfunctional side of every relationship in the movie. I felt about it the opposite of what I felt about Munich. In that, I thought Spielberg's editor did nothing about all the unnecessary scenes and storylines, and the movie was way too long for it. It would have been really good otherwise. Squid and the Whale felt way too short, and not funny when it was meant to be but rather disturbing. that being said, I also super appreciated the Museum of Natural History's Blue Whale playing such a pivotal role. That thing used to scare the daylights out of me! I was afraid to go out from under the overhangs by the wall in the sea creatures hall because I was afraid it would fall on me. Sort of like how I would hide under the little desk at the ticket window at the center of the Great Hall at Grand Central Station because I was afraid of high ceilings: afraid my shoulders would grow wings which would be out of my control and fly me to the ceiling and leave me there. For real. That fear lasted a very long time.

No comments: